Common Household Items That Are Poisonous To Your Dog
Most people give their dogs the run of the house. But when you do, you have to make sure they are kept away from anything that might harm them. There are many common household items that any veterinarian at Gentle Doctor Animal Hospital in Las Vegas will tell you are poisonous to your dog. It is essential to know which items around your house could kill them.
What To Keep Out Of A Dog's Reach
Even some items you have around the house for them can be poisonous if they are exposed to it incorrectly. This includes flea & tick repellent. While you can obviously use it on them, they should never be permitted to chew on something like their own flea collar. If you have a smaller dog, it is even more dangerous to them than it would be to a bigger one. You should keep a dog any size from chewing on the packaging that flea & tick repellant comes in.
They also need to be kept away from fertilizer. For a safer alternative, we suggest you use manure. If they ingest it, they will survive. In a similar vein, dogs also need to be kept away from rodent repellent. In the same way, the repellent kills rodents it can kill a dog just as easily.
Over the counter medication for you can also be dangerous or deadly to them. Anything with acetaminophen in it can harm a larger dog or kill a smaller one. Even swallowing one with this in it can have deadly consequences. Some foods you eat are deadly for dogs as well. Examples are avocados, macadamia nuts, grapes, and raisins. It is best to keep these foods where your dogs can't reach them.
Call Our Veterinarian Today!
If your dog has been exposed to one of these poisons, immediately contact Gentle Doctor Animal Hospital. We will examine your dog for any signs of poisoning and treat them as needed.